Tuesday, February 3, 2015

29 Faces and some Soul Food Pimpage!

Greetings and salutations, money-maker-shakers!

I'm trying really hard to do 29 Faces this year.  I'm trying really hard to finish the 50 Canvases project that I left hanging last year.  I'm trying really hard to manage to stay at the art table for more than 5 minutes at a time, too, so we'll see how it goes.

All of that aside, here's my first face and first catch-up canvas:


I'm doing a series of Zodiac paintings, and this is The Water Bearer (aka Aquarius).  I decided to start all of the canvases the same way by gluing down some random papers then stenciling a heart with modeling paste.  I've been putting some extra modeling paste down for some awesome texture, too...


Since texture makes me so happy...




I will be teaching something like this for Soul Food, something with modeling paste and texture and crazy color.  Yay!

Speaking of Soul Food, it started yesterday!  I'm so excited about the opportunity to teach with such an amazing lineup of people, like Ayala, the innovator behind 29 Faces.  Her work is full of color and texture, and she offers mixed media workshops on her site.  Give her a click, you know you wanna.

Since I started the Recordings project (it's music-based art journaling), I've really started to acknowledge the effect that music has on me while I'm painting.  For example, I found myself painting along to the beat earlier today, and I'll catch myself zoning out during a part of a song that I really resonate with.  It's no wonder I don't get anything done. ;)

This is today's theme song:


13 comments:

  1. such a wonderful piece
    i love looking at it
    wishing you a wonderful time with Soul Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the soft blue colors on the figure. Nice painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I want a hair like that! It would keep me warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song!

    Your canvas rocks. That texture is to die for! Can't wait to see the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool ... i love all the texture you have going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great texture and really interesting and beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is ingenious! Love how her hair is a cloud, and the texture is amazing ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I love that heart stencil, so amazing! I like all hearts, but really really like hearts that look like the real deal with all the vessels and chambers it just elevates it. I have stencil envy. Oh and Awolnation is so amazing to listen to! I find them and Imagine Dragons very stimulating to listen to while painting. It's like certain lyrics pop in my head and I can visualize a piece. Awolnation radio station on Pandora is a huge source of inspiration, my muse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, I might have to try it. l love the texture and color in your piece, it definitely captures and keeps my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. omghi! Terrific texture and layers of color! Love that cloud hair and mysterious face. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea and an't wait to see what you do for Pisces which just happens to be my star sign. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great song. I love all the texture you have going. Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete

All opinions happily accepted and absorbed by the soulsponge I keep in the garage.